Thursday, January 06, 2011

Christmas: Better Late than Never!















Whew! Being a mom of three, battling postpartum hormones, and trying to break away for a few minutes of blogging just don't coincide. Christmas came and went in such a hurry. I struggled this year. I wanted to do what I always do. I wanted to give nice gifts, make our home festive, teach our children about our Savior. I quickly realized that I couldn't meet my own perfect standard, and I became frustrated. Alas, looking back on December, we had a really good time. The boys loved doing "Advent Devotions" and getting a special treat at night. Micah really understood so much this year. He would make real prayer requests at night about himself and his sin (Wow! I could take a lesson from my five year old on his ability to admit his faults and ask for God's help to overcome them) We celebrated with Matt's family on the 24th, went to one of our favorite church services of the year (during which Owen fell asleep, while singing O Come All Ye Faithful), ordered Thai takeout, and came home to quickly get everyone in bed. Our Christmas morning was full of fun and smiles. The boys were so excited about their gifts. Margot slept through this, but we did manage a few pictures of her with her new teething rings before we headed to Memphis to see my family. Most of the details are a blur (as is much of my life these days) but here are a few pictures from a wonderful celebration.

3 comments:

Raechel said...

What a sweet Christmas, full of memories as a new mom of three. LOVE the picture of Owen hugging Matt!

Ann said...

Sweet pictures! I also love the one of Owen hugging Matt.

After I had Andrew, I struggled-big time! I remember one day calling Steven sobbing when Andrew was about 4 weeks old. There were some rough moments. But we survived-somehow enough to want a fourth!

I have a friend who has four now and she tells me it was harder to have three who are three and under than to have four six and under. Hoping this will be true. How old is Micah?

Noticed you had a copy of The Well-Trained Mind. Are you planning to homeschool? We have started this year. I really like the Reading book. Curious how you will get started since Micah has been reading for awhile.

The Morrisons said...

Hey Ann! I really think I experienced burnout trying to do too much with the holidays. I am hoping that things will get better. Micah is 5, and we are going to homeschool him next year. Right now, that sounds so daunting, but thankfully he is reading, so I feel like if we don't accomplish much some days it will be okay. I think we will pick and choose different levels for him-first grade for most subjects, third for reading and math. Really, we are flying by the seat of our pants since he doesn't fit into any one particular mold. I hate that I call Matt crying, but he is the only one I know to call. I just feel guilty all the time because everyone wants more than I can give. We are all learning to sacrifice more and want less! It's good to hear from you; hope you are well.