Monday, May 19, 2008

Grand Opening












The past weekend, the Spectacle Shoppe had its grand opening. I took the boys up to the office for some bagels and coffee (bagels for them, coffee for me) and we had fun meeting some of the prospective patients and many of the neighbors. Well, let me rephrase that. Micah had fun sitting in the waiting room with his iPod and headphones (he gets a bit of social anxiety), Owen had fun walking around the office until Gatsby ("Dr. Bradley's" son) tackled him in a bear hug (totally innocent, he is only 1, and loved Owen. Unfortunately after the incident, Owen didn't love him back), I had fun assessing the decorative improvements that needed to be made, and Matt had fun selling sunglasses and scheduling appointments. We tried to get some family pictures, but the boys were not cooperating. I thought I would post some of the funny attempts. The practice was open last week and Matt and Bradley actually did some good business. This week also has a few patients scheduled for every day, which is so exciting. Matt loves being at the practice. He claims that it is so much more fulfilling to work in his own place and run things the way he thinks is best. The patients want to be well taken care of, and Matt loves the ability to spend extra time getting to know them and to treat their conditions better. In commercial optometry (ie Wal-Mart, Lens Crafters, etc.) you lose some of the doctor/patient relationship, and everyone is always in a hurry, seeking out the best deals. That is fine for them, it is just not the way Matt wants to practice. All that to say, we feel very blessed by this opportunity and pray that God will continue to send patients our way.

After the big day, Owen had a blast with the balloons. He would get these ideas and try to take them up the stairs, so he could throw them down, or take them outside and send them down the slide. It was hilarious. Yes, he is wearing mismatched pj's because dada dressed him the night before. Oh, we seem to have had some fussy days for Owen, and are backing off the goat's milk for a little while. It is so hard because the type of allergy he has doesn't show up in a blood test so can only be determined through trial and error (hard because he is teething too,) and it is something called a type 3 meaning that the symptoms may take up to 3 days to show up. I am trying to keep my sanity and have added coconut milk to his rice dream for some fat. Supposedly the protein in goats milk is not heat stable. I have found some evaporated goat's milk in a can that I can reconstitute and should be rid of the protein. I think I will give his tummy a rest for a day or two and try again. It doesn't help that, even though I have bought exact matching cups for the boys that I mark with a sharpie, Owen still grabs Micah's milk when he isn't looking and takes a sip. He really wants to do anything and everything his big brother does. Micah is reading up a storm. He blows us away now that he will grab his Bible (not a children's one, but an ESV version from Uncle Bomp and Aunt Katie) and open and read passages. We will hear him on the monitor "Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?" and can hardly take it away when he is supposed to be sleeping. The passage is from Micah 6. He has memorized Micah 6:8 (his birthday and the reason we named our blog the common name for the verse: The Micah Mandate) and loves to look it up in his Bible. Micah really just loves words. He is always pointing out words that he sees. The other night he was lying on the floor during prayers and singing and says: "is that Laposa?" Matt and I were confused and he got up and looked on the underside of his night light and said "laposa?" We couldn't stop laughing when we saw LP-01SA. It must be the serial number or something.

I am really jumping around here, but wanted to mention a new feature that Matt turned me on to. It is called Google Reader. I am always clicking on my favorite blogs looking for updates, which can be a waste of time since I like to read lots of them. Now I can just look on Google Reader, and it will tell me which ones have updates. I hope you will find this time saving tip useful too.

6 comments:

Ann said...

Hey Ginny! I can't believe Micah is reading. That is so crazy. I can't remember how old he is? Will he be 3 or 4 this summer? I would like to have some structured learning time this summer with Ellie. I was wondering if you use any type of curriculum with him or do you just work with him from books and things? The boys are so cute. I know you guys are excited about the practice. Also, where is the google reader thing you are talking about? That would save me a lot of time as well.

The Morrisons said...

We really can't believe it either. He will be 3 in June. We didn't use any curriculum with him, but Matt was home a lot last year and spent some good one on one with him. I really think he has a gift. We taught him phonics with his letters, and he picked up reading mostly on his own. Matt and I do want the boys to have a classical, Christian education. I know they have preschool curriculums available. Micah is going to preschool next year and they follow a classical model. I would love to talk more about education with you because after working with so many kids, (I tutored as a job for a while) I feel like this education philosophy is best. Maybe we can e-mail or something. Talk to you soon.

Ann said...

What is your e-mail address? I have several questions.

TMB said...

congratulations! the office looks beautiful...

can't wait to hear all about it this weekend!!

Ginny said...

ann did you get my e-mail? I sent it to your hotmail. I am not sure I want to post mine here. I think matt may have an e-mail on facebook and you are welcome to send one to him too, and then i can e-mail you back from my account.

katie said...

yea! it makes me so happy to know micah loves his bible... we knew it would be a little while - but loved that one so much he had to have it (i can't believe he turned 1 so long ago!) i pray he continues to love to read it for years to come! and the office is AMAZING! can't wait to see y'all...