Friday, August 21, 2009

The Beach Part 1

I figured this might take a while, so I thought I would break it down into a few different posts. We split our drive to the beach (8 hrs) into two parts. We had friends in Birmingham kind enough to let us sleep there on Thursday night. This was especially good for two reasons: 1. The boys are fine for a 3-4 hour chunk of time in the car. We can watch movies, talk, listen to music, eat snacks, etc. to keep everyone entertained and 2. We were able to get to the beach by 2:00 on Friday and enjoy an afternoon of beach and a great seafood dinner at the Gulf Shores Steamer (I think I vote this my favorite beach restaurant.) The boys took no naps in the car, and were just so excited to see the beach. I was able to keep the peace the last hour of the drive by offering one new treat every 15 min. Thankfully, I had a stocked bag of goodies! When we arrived, Matt and I thought we could lay the boys down for a rest while we unloaded the car-WRONG! The look on their faces when we told them that was pure devastation. They wanted to go out and explore so badly. We just couldn't disappoint them like that (and we too wanted to head outside,) so we put on our swimsuits and headed out. The weather was perfect the whole time. I was worried about hot, humid temperatures and sun rays so strong that the boys wouldn't be able to stay out long; but the week had lots of great gulf breezes, good cloud cover, and very comfortable temperatures. It was such a treat, and we are so thankful to our parents for taking us on this much needed vacation.


Owen as we were making our way into Perdido Key. He could hardly contain himself. I think he is giving his best "beeeeaaaach!" right here.

Micah was feeling giddy himself-he loved watching out the window.
Coming over the bay. I love this part of going to the beach-windows down and breathing in the salty air!

Dinner at "the steamer." Matt and I shared a plate of steamed shrimp and oysters. The boys shared a steamed hotdog. Micah actually loved the shrimp and requested them every night afterwards. Owen unfortunately can't have shellfish, so he was stuck with mostly french fries. Thankfully he is not anaphylactic because his poor legs had so much eczema from the french fries being cooked in the same grease as the seafood. I am sure I get the worst mom of the year award for letting him continue to eat them, but it was so hard to say no.
Micah thought the shrimp were so funny because they still had the heads on them. Here he is saying "no, that is too gross to eat!" He didn't hesitate once they were all cleaned up.



We stopped at a state park to watch the beautiful sunset after dinner. The boys loved looking out over the bay, and of course Micah got a few "holes"of golf in!



So happy to be at the beach!



My sweet boy.

No comments: