Saturday, September 11, 2010

Catch-Up

Sometimes, when you are very pregnant, it is about survival. So, I haven't been as diligent as I like to be about keeping the blog updated. I am really getting the itch to have everything ready as we approach the full-term mark (even though I have never had early labor, you never know!) so I want to update two big events.

The Beach
One Monday afternoon (I think I was 32 weeks pregnant and had sworn I wouldn't travel for the uncomfortableness of it) Matt said, half jokingly, "you wanna go to the beach this weekend." The beach is 8 hours away, but the beach is my favorite place to be. I said "yes, can we?" He was flabbergasted at my response, but like a wonderful husband trying to help his wife get through the agonizing last weeks of pregnancy, he came home and quickly found us a cheap place to stay. Within a few hours, we were officially taking a beach trip and leaving in less than 4 days. Thankfully, I survived the car ride with only about 15 bathroom breaks. Because the boys were so excited and we were borrowing my in-laws van, the trip flew by peacefully. We arrived at the gulf to hot temperatures and a seaweed filled ocean, but no one cared. We were together, we were at the beach, and we were so happy (seaweed filled bathing-suits and all!) We ate delicious seafood and ice cream cones, sat on the balcony in the breezy evenings, took a long beach walk (where we saw a huge blue crab, baby shark, and two sting rays) during a beautiful sunset, swam in the pool, and praised the Lord for allowing us a wonderful family vacation.









First Day of School
Last week marked a big milestone: the first day of school for both my boys. We knew that this day was coming and had been planning and anticipating its arrival. This day meant lots of things: Margot would be here in a month or less, I was going to have two full mornings a week to be alone until Margot arrived, Owen was officially old enough to go to preschool, I am officially old enough to have CHILDREN-plural, in preschool, I had made it through the long hot summer and enjoyed myself! The boys were very excited. We tried not to make too big a deal out of it because we all tend to get a little nervous with big changes. Micah sailed right through the good-byes, walked into his new classroom, put down his back-pack, and got to work. I was very thankful for this as I was rushing out the door so I could show Owen what to do. He was very nervous, had his head down, and a little bit of a quivering lip as we walked into his busy classroom. I took him to the bathroom, helped him line up and snapped a few pictures as they walked to devotions. I stayed and watched my boys worship and was so happy to see Owen participating with a big smile. I could tell when I picked them up, that this was the right decision. They were so proud to show me their work and tell me about their day. I tackled a bunch of errands that needed to get done before we have another little one in the house. By Friday, we had Owen running a high unexplained fever and two unruly, fussy boys making me doubt my initial reaction. After a bunch of hugs, tears from three of us, a patient and loving dada treat of Mexican, and a good night's sleep, we are all "back in the game!" I have to remind myself that change is hard. Here's hoping to a better next Friday!









1 comment:

Raechel said...

Owen looks so handsome and wonderful in his pictures in his new classroom! I wish our boys were in the same class - maybe some year!

It was fun to read your post. Hoping for better weeks all around next week!

Rae