Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday






“Everyone who lined the streets of Jerusalem that day so long ago had a different reason for waving those palms. Some were political activists; they'd heard Jesus had supernatural power, and they wanted him to use it to free Israel from Roman rule. Others had loved ones who were sick or dying. They waved branches, hoping for physical healing. Some were onlookers merely looking for something to do, while others were genuine followers who wished Jesus would establish himself as an earthly king. Jesus was the only one in the parade who knew why he was going to Jerusalem--to die. He had a mission, while everyone else had an agenda.” J.I. Packer

Matt and I were talking the other night about why none of the Easter hymns seemed to catch on like the Christmas ones, and furthermore why Christmas has become such a enormous celebration, while Easter seems to sneak up and leave without much more than an egg hunt after church. We decided that Christmas is so easy to accept. Who doesn't like the happy feelings that come along with a new precious baby boy, one who came save the world? On the other hand Easter is harder to grasp: a man dying when he was not guilty and rising from the dead? People don't want to accept the fact that Jesus wasn't in the tomb that third day because that would mean he truly was who he said he was. Even with the faith that Christ did indeed rise from the dead, Easter is still harder for me to get excited about than Christmas. Why? I think maybe it's because I have to accept the fact that my sin nailed my Lord to the cross. I want to be one of the people shouting "Hosanna! Hosanna in the highest!" not one of the ones shouting "crucify Him" less than a week later. I know that I am both and that is why Christ had to die for me. Jesus says "for this purpose I have come to this hour." Jesus came to die. Praise the Lord! While this week leading up to Easter brings solemn feelings as we remember our sin and the death of our Savior, let us not forget to rejoice and celebrate our King's resurrection, for this is the crux of our faith.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in Heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 1 Peter 1:3-5

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Love what you shared about Easter! Thank you! Happy Easter to your sweet family!