Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Snow Day





So I am late in posting this; I honestly had forgotten until today when we were out walking. It is a fabulous day today, near 70. The windows are open and the sun is brightening the whole house. Springtime makes me so happy. I hear the birds chirping and see the buds on the trees, and I can't help but smile. God is so good to give us Spring! Anyway, I was thinking while we were out on the trails "I can't believe there was 3 inches of snow on the ground less than a week ago." Yes, last weekend we awoke to a blanket of snow. Snow is pretty first thing in the morning before all the footprints (I didn't get out with the camera soon enough,) but honestly I wouldn't care if I ever saw it. I hate being cold! Micah had fun throwing snowballs with Dada and building a snowman on the deck. Ellie didn't know what to think as she sunk almost to her belly when we put her out. Owen was very unsure.
Lately, we get glimpses of a side to Owen that we wouldn't have expected. He is generally very easy going around here. He is mostly content all day roaming around pulling out all his toys, talking to himself. He will even stay in his crib for 30-45 minutes and just talk and roll around (we are working on dropping his morning nap, so that he will just take one long nap with Micah in the afternoon, but he still needs a rest in his room around 10:30 or so. The time change has him sleeping till 9 now, so he was wanting to nap around 11:30-2, which unfortunately didn't give me much of a break as Micah was laying down right when Owen was waking up. He is quite adaptable though and has been laying down for me around 1-2 and sleeping till 5 or so.) I say all that to preface my surprise when he got visibly upset as I set him in the grass the other day, and definitely didn't want us to put him down in the snow. He held on for dear life when we tried to have him go down our little baby slide that Micah loved when he was 1. I think the little boy that I thought was so laid back, may not be so after all. Content, adaptable, and happy, yes; but he seems to tense up in certain situations that affect his senses of touching and hearing. He does not like chaos, though he loves when people come to our house to hang out. I think he will be like me in that sense. I love comfortable social situations, but chaotic ones (parties, think college, are not really my bag). Matt and Micah, on the other hand, would avoid social situations of all kinds. They prefer to have one or two close friends, and get very nervous to step out of their comfort zones. I laugh and think that it is good that they have Owen and me to make the friends, so they can enjoy the relationships without the pains of having to develop them! Okay, I got way off track. I didn't intend to go into all that, but I wanted to jot down some things that I have recently noticed in Owen. Maybe one day, when the boys' wives ask, "what was he like as a baby?" I can pull this blog up. By the way, all you bloggers out there, you can have your blog put into a book, so that you can have a hard copy to look at.

No comments: