Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Starting!






The holiday hustle that is! I love the holidays. It really redeems the first cold months for our family because we are truly spring and summer folks around here. We hosted a pre-Thanksgiving here for my dad, step-mom, brother, and sister-in-law this past weekend. We always set aside this weekend as a time to get together with my dad as it gets really busy to see three sets of grandparents and still have some family time during Christmas. I was happy this year when they suggested having dinner in Nashville because it meant one less travel for the boys, and I love to cook. It worked out especially well this year because had it been anywhere else, I don't think we could have made it due to Micah's pneumonia. He is doing much better by the way. He still has a little rattle, but his cough is mostly productive. Our weekend was full of fun. We went to ICE on Friday night. For the record, I would not highly recommend it. Seriously, as if it weren't cold enough outside, let's go walk through a few rooms at 6 degrees filled with ice. They did give us some great blue parkas to wear at least. I don't want to sound ungrateful. The ice was gorgeous, and my sister-in-law works for Opryland and so was able to get us tickets. I just don't think I will do it again anytime soon. Owen actually loved the ice (but he also loved wearing his parka, hat, and mittens. He was mesmerized by all the colors and laughed and pointed until we sent him down the ice slide. He went flying in his slick parka and got very scared. Micah hated the whole thing. He didn't want to wear the coat and was freezing. At least cold moist air is really very good for Micah's cough. I finally convinced him to have a seat in the stroller with a big blanket and a sucker. When we left, we headed to dinner at the Rainforest cafe. Both boys thankfully loved that. The animals and waterfalls kept them entertained while we ate a yummy dinner. Saturday, Matt spent the day with the boys (great for all of them since he has worked the past two weekends), and I cooked a ham (the first big piece of meat I have attempted) , corn pudding, green beans with shallots and bacon balsamic dressing, cranberry-orange marmalade, maple sweet potatoes, a streusel topped pumpkin pie and a chess pie for dessert. It was a wonderful night of great food and company. The boys had fun spending time with their family. I didn't capture too many pictures, but I did get one cute one of Aunt Jessica with the boys.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Does he have a fever? The main reason the doctor wanted to see her again is because she continued to have such a high fever. I guess I'm a little confused on the difference b/w viral and bacterial pneumonia. Hers is bacterial. But yeah, I mean if it keeps going on and he's still complaining I guess I would definitely call to see if the doctor was concerned. 10 days is a long time. I asked Ellie's pediatrician if it was really painful and he said that pneumonia is very painful. I know it has to be getting old for you because this has been really hard on all of us. I hope he is better soon!

Ann said...

Oh, as for the recovery period, they didn't really say. He just wants me to listen for her breathing, if her breaths continue to be short and rapid, call again. And of course, the fever. But I guess I need to prepare myself that this might be a slow recovery. And I'm afraid she has gotten a lot of attention and it might be hard for her to go back to normal. (Like she will hardly let me leave her side if she is lying on the couch or bed)

TMB said...

that looks like such a fun!!

hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!! we are thankful for you all. you are such wonderful friends. truly 1 in a million!

lots of love.