Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Traditions

"There is something about saying, 'We always do this,' which helps keep the years together. Time is such an elusive thing that if we keep on meaning to do something interesting, but never do it, year would follow year with no special thoughtfulness being expressed in making gifts, surprises, charming table settings, and familiar, favorite food. Tradition is a good gift intended to guard the best gifts." Edith Schaeffer


I am really into the topic of traditions this year. I think it is probably because Micah is actually old enough to participate in some of them and start to think about the things we do as special. I will periodically post some of the family traditions that we hope to continue in the coming years (obviously now at Christmas time there will be many). One thing Matt and I have done for the past 4 years is buy a real Christmas tree. I absolutely love the smell, and the way they look. My favorite is a Fraser Fir and that has been the tree of choice so far. I love to decorate with lots of white lights (they look so pretty against the greenish, blue needles) and ornaments. I have special ornaments for each of us, even Ellie. I always remember as a little girl getting to hang "my" ornament on the tree; in fact, that ornament now hangs from our tree. I hope our boys will have as much fun hanging their special one on in the future. Right now, they are on the highest limbs so that they won't break from the curious hands of babies. We also do an advent wreath with candles to light on each of the four Sundays before Christmas and one in the middle for Christmas eve. This is one tradition that Matt brings from his childhood. I love the symbolization of the anticipation of the coming of Christ as a baby. Each time one is lit, we sing and read the Scriptures to the boys that prophesy about Christ's birth.

I also love taking a Christmas card picture in front of the tree. This year it is doubly hard trying to get two smiles (both toward the camera) at the same time. We persevered and after three separate attempts, got one that I think is adorable. I didn't post that one here, so you will all have to wait in eager anticipation for its arrival in the mail. I did post some of the trials, because they are pretty cute too.

No comments: