Thursday, December 04, 2008

Future Chess Master?



Micah has been interested in chess on the computer. We have recently set him up with his own sign-in so that he can play around on the computer. After discovering him watching something on the scary side on You Tube, we decided that we needed some parental controls! Anyway, we thought it a great time to get Micah interested in chess. I remembered an old chess set from back in Matt's glory days of fourth grade and thought a tangible set would help. It really makes me smile to look at the set and think of little Matt playing a game he still so dearly loves. I dusted off the pieces, scrubbed the board, and set the game up in the play room. We knew that it would take some time to get Micah interested in really playing. He likes to be the one to come up with the idea to start a something new. What we weren't expecting is Owen to jump in the booster seat, ask to be buckled in, and proceed to learn all the pieces by name in about 10 minutes! We couldn't keep him away from the chess set the rest of the day. I know it makes Matt happy to see one of our boys interested in his favorite game. I'm sure Micah's interest will come, and when it does I am hoping to learn along with him. I know the logistics, but can't really give Matt any competition. Maybe by the time we are old and gray, I will have learned enough from playing with my toddlers to keep up with him.

No comments: