Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Some Traditions



I have had a few friends ask what types of traditions we are starting with our children for the holidays. I am obviously late in posting this as these pictures were from a couple of weeks ago, and our Christmas traditions really started the weekend following Thanksgiving. But, in an attempt to keep my plate a little cleaner and avoid the holiday stresses, I have decided to only post as time permits. I talked a lot about traditions last year in December (see archives) so I figured I would just touch on a few here. One thing I hope my children don't see is a lot of stress, way too much "stuff," and all the other things we tend to pile on this time of year in an attempt to celebrate. I have made a conscious effort to try to stay home the past few days, love my children and teach them as much as possible about what we should be doing during this season of advent: examining our hearts, preparing for the great celebration of Christ's birth, and repenting. Of course along with our preparation has come decorating our house with lights, (which, after a valiant effort by my husband, have blown a fuse. Ah, maybe next year!) a tree, and a few other decorations. We also light an advent candle (one for every week before Christmas) and do a special advent devotion before normal bed time routines. The boys usually enjoy a snack in their highchairs while we sing some favorite Christmas hymns. Whole Foods has a 365 brand sugar cookie that has only 3g of sugar in five cookies and makes a great special snack before bed. Afterward, they both blow with all their might to get the candles out. Micah has really gotten into opening a door of an advent calender from Grammy every morning. We are making some fun treats for the season including Micah's new favorite: peppermint bark. This is the first year that we have seen real anticipation in Micah as he imagines what could be in the boxes marked with his name. He likes to read all the gift tags, pick up the ones for himself and say, "Oh, this is a heavy one! What could it be? You have to wait until December 25th." He knows he has to wait and has been really good about it, but I see his excitement building as we get closer. Owen has no idea what is in the boxes. I think after Christmas morning, it will be forever engrained that pretty boxes mean special treats!

No comments: