Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Our New Tenants


Meet Flopsy and Mopsy, the sweet baby rabbits who are buried under our swing set. Owen, Ellie, and I were outside playing a couple of days ago when Owen went into the would-be sandbox of our play ground. It was a bit overgrown with grass, and I saw something moving. Well, Ellie saw it too and was instantly on it. Of course my motherly instincts kicked in, and I wanted them both out of there quickly for fear it was a snake. My other inclination was that there were babies, and I certainly didn't want mama whatever coming to get onto my little one for disturbing the nest. After things calmed down a bit, I went to check it out and found these two precious bunnies. Ellie is thoroughly intrigued. I don't want her to hurt the innocent things, so we are currently keeping her out of the backyard. This is much easier said than done, as she wants so desperately to investigate her new friends. I did a little research and found that mama rabbit will only come back to the nest once a day to nurse the babies so as not to attract predators. So, if you ever find baby bunnies and can't seem to ever see mama, don't move the bunnies. As long as they look healthy and alive, she is coming to feed them. She is just smart enough to wait until Mr. McGregor is sleeping for the night!

*I took Micah back there this morning for a peak. We gently uncovered the burrow and his face lit up. He wanted to touch them. I prodded a bit, and one started jumping. It will be fun to let him see the bunnies grow. I think when they open their eyes, they will venture into the yard for a few minutes a day. Maybe we can catch them in action soon.

1 comment:

TMB said...

oh my heavens. those babies are precious!!!