Saturday, September 27, 2008

Videos of the Boys and a Little about Micah

Micah is loving his piano book (a play by number book with a small keyboard attached.) He is quite good at it and can even tell us what note we are playing without looking. I think we are going to invest in a real keyboard for a Christmas gift. I have to confess, I haven't always welcomed these interests. I love it that Micah loves to learn because so do I. But about a year ago, we started discovering that there was more than just an interest in learning. Now I have been faced with the challenge of parenting a child with special needs. He has a need to figure everything out and know exactly what is going on at all times. If he can't figure it out, or if something goes differently than he thinks it should, we are often faced with a meltdown. Case in point: he will ask what the trip meter says in my car every two seconds (he can't see it from his car seat) because he is trying to understand what makes it count up. Sometimes I want to scream because even after I explain that we are measuring a distance, and that the speed that the trip meter counts up will vary with the car's speed, it isn't good enough. He has to try figure out the system on his own, and he wants me to aid him by telling him every time we go 1/10 of a mile. I just want to enjoy some music and peace and quiet while in the car! I will become frustrated and so will he. We have come up with a system. I will tell him what the trip meter says every 15 minutes if he asks politely and with respect (it is often a demand). I am learning to embrace Micah's obsessions, while trying to simultaneously teach him moderation. I used to get frustrated and try to divert him (just because of the obsessive part because believe me it is an OBSESSION!, not because of the topic of interest) but this is just the way he is. When he was obsessed with letters, we taught him to read; when he became obsessed with numbers, we taught him math and how to tell time. Now he is very interested in playing music. So I figure, why not teach him how! It dawned on me that maybe he would start to feel like I didn't love him for who he is if I continued to get annoyed every time he glanced at my watch or if I kept trying to get him to play trucks or something. I mean, isn't that what three year olds do? Well, not this one. I am reminded of the verses:

For you formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother's womb.
I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
Psalm 139:13-14

The Lord gave Micah his own special interests and gifts. While they may not be like other children his age, we love him for exactly who he is.




Psalm 100:4-5
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.

Here is sweet Owen saying answering question #1 of the children's catechism. I like how he is "vroom vrooming" on his tractor before I ask him. Also notice his adorable t-shirt. Thank you, Taylor for mentioning them. We love it.

No comments: