Monday, February 23, 2009

Recap

Our week has left little time for blogging. I thought I would do a bit of a recap.

Monday (around 4:30 am): Seal barking cough coming from Owen's monitor. Uggghhhhh. I am no stranger to croup this year, and I know what is happening. I get him up, steam up the bathroom with the hot shower after I blast him with some air from the freezer. I settle him down with help from Matt, get him some advil (he had a 104 fever) and am able to get him back to sleep by about 7am. Monday afternoon (Matt gets home early thankfully and watches Micah) I take Owen to the doctor. He confirms the croup and says it is a virus, so no meds can really help. We discuss a steroid, but decide to let him try to beat this one on his own.

Tues-Thurs: Lots of Advil, lots of movies (Finding Nemo seems to bring him some comfort-thanks Aunt Sarah!), lots of waking up in the night to help Owen breathe between coughs (which is growing more wet and disturbing). All the while, my usually high needs, melancholy oldest is being a true champ. He is entertaining himself, helping me with Owen by bringing me tissues and such, and just bringing a little cheer into our lives.

Friday: After being up all night long trying to keep Owen comfortable amidst coughing fits and moanings of pain, I call and make another appointment. This is about the 10th time we have been to see our pediatrician this winter. The nurses look at me when I get there and just say "sorry." I can only imagine what a sight we are having had no sleep and trying to cough up a lung. The doctor diagnoses Owen with a viral pneumonia (yep, no real cure). He does start him on the steroid to help him breath though. Thankfully, he only wakes once that night.

Weekend: Husband and I are ill, but trying not to complain as it is clearly nothing compared to our little boy. Matt graciously lets me sleep in both mornings and handles the boys solo (no small task with Owen's grumpiness). We try to keep in good spirits as we hear Micah start with a pretty nasty sounding cough. I am fighting the urge to de-virus my house and rest instead. Micah is still leading the group with smiles, jokes, and games. He loves Memory, an internet game called Block in Hole, (very addicting and he is getting very good) a made up ball game that the boys call "tricky ball," and a lot of "races" (really just running from one end of the house to the other.)

Today: I awake much better-only a few coughs and sniffles. Owen awakes a bit grumpy as he coughs up all the junk that has settled the night before. I instantly give him Advil (I have learned my lesson on not waiting to see if he really needs it) and his steroid. Within the hour he is actually smiling, and playing with toys! He even greets Dada with a big hug and smile on his lunch break. He really has had very little to do with Matt since last Monday (I guess I am just a source of comfort right now) so this is a really good sign. Matt is still a little congested but hanging in there. Micah is running a tad a fever and coughing, but somehow remaining in good spirits. Hopefully, I will write of good health soon! Hope you all remain healthy these last few weeks of winter. We cannot wait for Spring!

3 comments:

TMB said...

ginny--i am SO sorry you guys have had it so rough. i know you are all exhausted. i wish i was closer to help!!

we will pray for good health for the morrison household!
xoxo

Raechel said...

Oh, Ginny, I had no idea! I'm so sorry y'all have been so under the weather! Let's all get healthy and then get together to play soon! (Those healthy windows seem to be so hard to find these days!)

I'm glad to hear that everyone seems to be on the upswing.

Love from the Myers home!

katie said...

YUCK! so sorry... can't imagine what this week was like, or how bad you need sleep! :) campbell has double pink eye and a double ear infection if that makes you feel any better... haha why don't y'all come down (or we'll come up) and we'll all be sick together!! more fun than alone, right?
miss y'all!