Saturday, March 28, 2009

Potty Training: Take One


So after receiving and reading some random Baby Center e-mail on potty training children under two, I decided this would be the weekend. We also had some encouragement from our pediatrician, who claims Owen to be a pretty verbal boy (communication is a key to successful potty training) and from Owen's never-ending attempts to be like his big brother and use the potty! Potty training is one of those things that is easy to put off: I mean who doesn't like the convenience of diapers. But since Owen was interested, I figured we would have to bite the bullet at some point, and I sure would like the extra $30 a month! So we have been talking it up all week and this morning, while I was still enjoying some "me time" I hear Matt, Micah, and Owen singing, congratulting, and talking about jelly beans. I quickly ran downstairs to discover that in less than an hour, we had success! Good job Owen! So, we continued on with our potty training Saturday: playing only downstairs, (hard woods make for easy clean-ups!) wearing no pants, (just Owen, we decided we could all keep our pants on) eating a yummy new snack-pretzel crisps, (buy one-get one free at Publix right now) and drinking lots of full strength juice and sweet tea. Micah enjoyed the festivities and helped tremendously in teaching his little brother how to use the potty. I really think this made it so much easier for Owen. We love you, Micah! Thank you for taking your role as big brother so seriously and helping us out so much! We called the day a success with three pee pees in the potty, only one accident on the floor, and two successful trips outside where he even pulled his shorts down. He ended the day with a temper tantrum, maybe his first real one ever. I guess all the excitement and frustrations of the day caught up to him. He was screaming over and over "more pee pees again" and hitting the floor, his own face, etc. Poor guy just got too overwhelmed and tuckered out. He is now power napping-we are going on four hours. I am interested to see how the evening fares.

No comments: