Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Some Meal Ideas

Well, it so happened that last week I was making a quick trip to the grocery while the boys were napping (it was one of Matt's early days). I timed it so that I would just get home in time to make dinner. We were planning on turkey burgers because it felt great outside and we could use the grill. Well, lo and behold, I get to the checkout with my basket full and realize I don't have a wallet. They won't take a credit card over the phone, so I had to leave all my things behind and head home empty handed. Not only was I angry because I wasted precious napping hours getting absolutely nothing accomplished, I also felt overwhelmed at the thought of feeding my family. I really couldn't think of a single thing I had to cook. Matt suggested we go out, but I was bound and determined not to waste our weekend treat on my own forgetfullness. So, I came up with this:

1 box of pasta (doesn't matter what kind, we had the end of 3 different boxes!)
1 can diced tomatoes
frozen peas (I just add these to the pasta water at the very end to dethaw)
chicken tenders from the freezer (ours were the Tyson southern style)

I cooked the pasta, added the peas at the end, tossed in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and minced garlic, S&P, the tomatoes and plated it up. I cut the tenders up after they baked said amount of time and placed them on top. Then, I gave it some fresh grated parmesan cheese and called it dinner. Owen and Matt ate two bowls, and I must say I think I will add it to our family favorites list!

I stole this next one from Rachael Rae

Sausage, Peppers and Onions Stoup
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds hot or sweet bulk Italian sausage (You can buy turkey or chicken to save some fat)
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 to 4 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (I used green bell because I had them already)
  • 2 medium-large onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans or 1 (28-ounce) can crushed or diced fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
  • 1 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano

Heat extra-virgin olive oil in deep skillet, add sausage and brown a few minutes then add garlic, peppers, onions and cook until soft, 6 to 7 minutes more.

Deglaze pan with a little vinegar, stir in stock and tomatoes and reduce heat to simmer, cook 5 minutes more then stir in parsley and basil and serve with cheese on top.

I bought a sourdough boule and we dipped it in the soup- delicious!

Hope you have a chance to try some of these easy, family friendly meals. If your kids don't like the looks of peppers and onions, try an immersion blender to puree them into the soup! I also dropped cubes of bread into Owen's soup to soak up the liquid; it made it much easier for him to eat and less messy.

2 comments:

Raechel said...

Ugh! I've done that! I spent an evening away from my boys about two months ago getting groceries only to realize at the checkout that Oliver had taken my wallet out of my purse. I ended up crying my whole way home, so defeated (and feeling like I'd wasted an evening with the boys) and Ry went back to fetch the groceries (my hero). I hope that never happens again- to either of us!

However, much kudos to you and your great resourcefulness. You always impress me with your good meals!

TMB said...

yummm....
both sound awesome!!!