Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Good Quote From A Good Book

I am reading a book right now by Elisabeth Elliot called The Shaping of a Christian Family. It is somewhat of a memoir of her childhood, and the way her parents strove to raise their children in a way that was pleasing to the Lord. I am enjoying reading it, and I found this to be a good quote. She says that "a father's submission to a Heavenly Father means submission to the needs of his children, in other words, sacrifice and humble service, always the conditions of Godlike authority." She then quotes Martin Luther:

Our natural reason looks at marriage and turns up its nose and says, "Alas! Must I rock the baby? wash its diapers? make its bed? smell its stench? stay at nights with it? take care of it when it cries? heal its rashes and sores? and on top of that care for my spouse, provide labor at my trade, take care of this, and take care of that? do this and do that? and endure this and endure that? Why should I make such a prisoner of myself?"
What then does Christian faith say to this? It opens its eyes, looks upon all these insignificant, distasteful, and despised duties in the spirit, and is aware that they are all adorned with divine approval as with the costliest gold and jewels. It says "O God, I confess I am not worthy to rock this little babe or wash its diapers, or to be entrusted with the care of a child and its mother. How is it that I without any merit have come to this distinction of being certain that I am serving they creature and thy most precious will? Oh, how gladly I will do so. Though the duty should be even more insignificant and despised, neither frost nor heat, neither drudgery nor labor will distress me for I am certain that it is thus pleasing in thy sight."

Let us not be like the world and seek only our own pleasure, but let us rejoice in the privilege of serving our children, whom the Lord has lent to us for such a short time!

4 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Ginny! I just wanted to say I have so enjoyed reading your blog. Your boys are precious! I feel as though I can relate to so many of your posts. I just wanted to say what a blessing this post was to read! I so often can become focused on myself and how much I have given up as a wife and mom. But my desire is to have my focus on Jesus Christ and the example He set through His life lived out on earth. He lived a life of complete selflessness and humility. So if God has called me to change diapers, clean up throw-up, make meal after meal, I pray that I find joy in that! Also, I ordered the book you recommended "Wise Words for Mom". I really like it! There are so many times when I want to use scripture to teach Ellie and Luke, but don't feel confident or don't really know what verse(s) I should be using according to the situation. Just wanted to say Hi and I pray you and your family are well!!

Ann said...

By the way-this is Ann Rhodes(Adpi). I know I haven't seen you in awhile and just realized you may know several Anns:)

Ginny said...

Thanks Ann, it is so good to hear from you. Matt has shown me pictures of your beautiful family, I still can't believe this has all happened so fast. Thank you for saying hi! I am glad you liked the post. Yes, some days I wonder why this has to be so hard, and how I just want to go take a long hot bath, and others, I think I am so blessed and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Praise the Lord that he is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and that his grace is sufficient for us!

katie said...

how encouraging... thanks ginny. can't wait to get that book!