Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Summer Meal Ideas

Sometimes when it is hot outside, I don't feel like eating heavy winter casseroles, but it is so much easier to have something to put together beforehand or at least something very quick. Here are some things we have been loving.

BLTA's+ your fish of choice (I usually use wild salmon, but I have some yellowfin to try this week; oh, and the "A" stands for avocado) I know this sounds boring, but with some good bread and good quality bacon, it is very yummy.

Pasta salad dishes (we do a take on a Caesar salad: romaine, chicken, tomato, feta, and Caesar dressing tossed with penne pasta, or try penne with a homemade dressing of balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil, chopped fresh basil and cilantro or parsley, then toss with some arugula, tomatoes, and a grilled NY strip sliced on top. Top with a little Parmesan and you have pasta salad Giada style.)

Salads: We love mixed baby greens with chopped mango, avocado, blueberries, feta, and topped with pan seared tuna. I found a blueberry pomegranate vinaigrette that is so good with this one.

We love to grill. We will pick up whatever meat is on special and grill it with veggies (we love onions, pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, corn on the cob, and zucchini)

This casserole is great, not too heavy and so easy. I double the chicken stock and flour to give a little more sauce http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1634749

I tried a zucchini bread recipe recommended by Taylor, and it was a big hit. You can find it http://www.stonyfield.com/Recipes/recipe.cfm?RecipeID=69

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas for dinner next week!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Ginny! Thanks for the meal ideas. They sound wonderful! Are your boys good eaters? Will they eat most of what you listed? Ellie and Luke are pretty picky. Especially Luke-if he isn't sure what it is, I cannot get him to put it in his mouth. Which is so unfortunate, because I love to try new recipes. Also, I recently started a blog and wondered if it would be okay for me to add yours as a link? Hope you're well

Ginny said...

Hey Ann, I think I will post some disclaimers about the kids and the recipes. No, I wouldn't mind at all if you add me to your blog list.