Friday, April 25, 2008

Walking


Matt and I realized the other day, that we haven't tried to really help Owen understand that he can walk. He had the ability, we saw him cruise around the furniture, stand on his own, and walk behind a push toy; he is just a little top heavy with his large head and small body making it a challenge to keep his balance. Funny, Micah was the exact same way, and on Tuesday, we taught Owen that he could indeed take steps on his own, the exact same way. We got some of his favorite treats (Ellie's bone, fruit snacks, and a sing along book) and put them on the ottoman (a cushioned, stable surface.) Then, we would back him up and let him take a couple of steps and fall into the ottoman. We all got a big kick out of it, even Micah. Of course, he was jumping from his highest surface yet (the coffee table) to make sure we were still proud of him too. So, Tuesday was the day Owen officially took some steps. Wednesday, however, I think it dawned on him that walking isn't just for big people, he can do it too; and he wanted to. He would pull up on everything, get a ready look on his face and begin toddling toward one of us, laughing the whole way. He started getting a little too brave for the hard floor though, so we spent most of yesterday in the carpeted playroom. He is so proud of himself. I would venture to say that in a couple of weeks, he will have the whole walking thing down. I know his knees will appreciate the break. Right now, they are covered in bruises and scrapes from crawling around outside. I guess with walking come bigger falls and bigger scrapes, but don't you love those summer knees? It just wouldn't be the same without scrapes and bruises. I am even getting my fair share (and no, I don't love summer knees on me, I just think it is cute on little ones.) Hopefully, I will have some better pictures and video clips soon.

1 comment:

TMB said...

way to go big boy!!!