Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Going Home!

Micah is doing so well that they are ready to release him from the hospital here! There are some final evaluations etc. to do, but we are hoping to go home Friday. You can only imagine how excited we are to take our sweet Micah home. I am very curious how he will respond to being home in a comfortable, familiar environment with his siblings and Mama full time.

My mom has been here for the past few days (so helpful!), which has given Matt a chance to come be with Owen for a little while. Owen has been having a little bit of a hard time. We aren't really sure if it is nerves, but he hasn't been eating much and his tummy is upset. I'm sure he has so many emotions that are hard to process. He has lost his best friend and is generally apathetic about playing much of anything. I'm so excited for him that he will have his brother back soon!

I was able to spend a good deal of time with Micah this morning. I know everyone wants to know how he is. It is hard to explain, and I have so many mixed emotions when I am with him. He is definitely different than he was prior to the ADEM. There is no way to know if it is permanent, a product of his environment, side effects to the steroids etc. Honestly, we haven't seen any negative personality changes-just different. Sometimes I catch myself feeling sad that I may never see the old Micah again, but I also realize that circumstances shape who we are. We believe the Lord uses things in our lives to mold us into the people he wants us to be. We trust that God has a plan for Micah- one to prosper him and not to harm him and that He will work this situation for Micah's good. He looks tons different because of all the swelling. This is temporary and should go down when he stops the medicine, but it is hard to see him looking so puffy. He also is still very limited physically. While he has come leaps and bounds from where he was two weeks ago, he is far from running down the hall and jumping off the ottomans. I asked the therapist today if she thought he would do those things again, and her response was "yes, definitely." She explained that there was still so much healing that needs to happen in all the nerves and that just takes time. Although there are no guarantees, it was good to hear such a positive opinion. No one thought he would be doing this well this quickly and that is also an encouragement. We are really just so thankful and proud of our little boy, so humbled by the prayers, gifts, and help from our friends and family, so grateful for the Lord's mercy.

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

We are so glad that you are going to be coming home. We will keep praying for your sweet family.

Unknown said...

praise God! so glad to hear it.

Jenny said...

Wonderful news...so thankful!

Unknown said...

Amazing news! Prayers and thoughts as you journey back home.

Raechel said...

Thanks be to God! Looking forward to having the WHOLE Morrison family back on their home turf! Ginny, please let me know if I can start lining up meals for y'all and if you need any house cleaning or anything else. We are all so eager to help however we can!!

Love you all!
Rae

Leah Morgan Futrell MBA 2021 said...

Ginny and Matt, I have been catching up with you on the blog and am so humbled by your ability to remain so strong in such a scary and tough situation. We have been praying for you and will continue to do so. Something you said in this post rang so true with me that I just had to comment. I don't know if you knew this, but my sister was in a coma for six weeks following a brain surgery and we did not know how or if she would come out of it. Now she is fine, healthy, and getting married soon. At times I see vague reminders that she is a little bit different, and I am saddened by remembering the way she used to be, but I realize that God has changed her for a reason and that change is GOOD. Just like all of His decisions. Micah will no doubt be the same little boy he was before, but better and stronger because the Good Lord so chose him for this battle. What a blessing to be touched so deeply, and yet, I somewhat understand the fear, anger, and pain that it has and will sometimes cause. Praying for you now and will continue to do so. Please let the Harrimans know if you need anything.

Brittany said...

Woo hoo!!! So thankful for His healing and goodness. Praying for these last few days in Atlanta and an uneventful trip home.

Carolyn said...

We haven't met, but my son Noah is in Owen's class at MSP. I've been following your blog and just wanted you to know that we've been praying for Owen as he goes through all of this change. Just as you see God using this situation to shape Micah, we know he's using it to build Owen's character. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help - or if/when Owen would be up for a playdate. Noah would love that. :)

Unknown said...

That is the most wonderful news that you get to come home. So sweet to see him putting on the golf green in the video.

Please let us know how we can be praying for and serving your family.
Looking forward to seeing Owen back at school after Spring Break.
With love,
Kristin Henke