Monday, March 07, 2011

No Real Answers

We were eagerly awaiting today as it seemed as though we were really going to get rolling with the move to Atlanta, etc. Our pediatrician is ready to release Micah over to the rehab hospital, but it seems as though these things take a while. I spoke with our case worker today and first, they have to have a representative from Atlanta come here and evaluate Micah to see if he is a good fit for their facility. Next, we have to find out about insurance, then appeal if they deny etc. I am so thankful that someone is handling all that for us! So, it is a waiting game now. Matt thinks we will be leaving Wed. but I am leaning more towards Thursday. Of course, we could leave as early as tomorrow. Now, we are busy making plans to leave for probably two weeks to a month. Matt has taken two weeks off work and will ride with Micah to Atlanta in the ambulance. I will possibly wait on my mom to come back and help me get to Atlanta with the other kids (Thursday or Friday) or leave close behind Matt and Micah-it depends on how brave I am. Please pray with us that Micah will make quick progress and that we will indeed be there two weeks or less. It will be really hard to split our family up and for me to care for an infant as well as a child in the hospital with no husband, and of course I would miss Matt and Owen like crazy. From what we have heard, the place in Atlanta has wonderful success rates and is an excellent facility. We obviously want our son to reach his maximum potential and we strongly feel that inpatient therapy is what is best for him. He is still making progress now with his therapists at Vanderbilt, but at the rehab hospital he will have this type of therapy all day. Today he looked at Where's Waldo for quite a while on his belly and up on all fours. He also took a stroll around the halls, which Matt claimed wore him out. He was eating much better today also. We are just so thrilled to see Micah progressing. He made several jokes today, laughed a few times, played with Owen this afternoon, and became very feisty in the bathtub this morning. It feels so good to see glimpses of the Micah we have raised for the past 5+ years. but I can't help but wonder if he might have some different personality traits after all this as he has been quite the joker today.

Tonight I had a mini meltdown when I got home with the kids. It was the first time I came home to an empty house with no distractions. I immediately felt the weight of packing for 5 people for an indefinite stay during a season change. I yelled at Owen because he wouldn't take a bath with Margot. Seriously, what is my deal? I guess, since Micah is recovering, I decided to have my own pity party. Matt gently reminded me that a few days ago, we were watching our son slip away. He is well now-and getting stronger every day. Praise the Lord! I apologized to Owen-he is very happy I am going to be home tomorrow. I told him we were going to pray for Micah before bed and he said "I pray for him when I am sleeping!" I'll leave you with a verse from a card I opened tonight:

Do not be afraid for I am with you.
Do not be discouraged for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to help care for you and your family when you arrive in Atlanta.

Love,
The Oxford Family

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and your family. I know this is a difficult time. PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you need ANYTHING! Big or small. I was also wondering if you could (once you get settled in Atlanta) send me the address and room number Micah will be staying in. Would love to send a card.